Thursday, February 9, 2012

Riding the Winds

I have recently become very attached to the iPod touch I inherited from my husband when he upgraded a real smart phone. I use it for checking email, tracking what I eat, playing time-killer games, and especially for reading scriptures. Because my littlest is only six months old, juggling him and my scriptures and my lesson manual in Relief Society became nigh impossible. With the iPod, I can actually participate in the lesson while still keeping him from wreaking havoc on anything within arm's length.

This almost sounds like an ad for Apple...

The thing that I have found most helpful with my scripture app is the ability to read in the middle of the night while I'm up with the baby. I don't have to turn any lights on, so it's easier to get him back to sleep, and I have something to occupy my mind instead of just being really, really annoyed that I'm awake (you know the feeling). 

That was a long introduction. I guess I get kind of wordy when I spend all day with four kids four and under, thus lacking coherent conversation that employs complete sentences.

Anyway.

As usual, life has handed us quite the struggle to be dealing with. I recently posted a lengthy tale on my personal blog describing the beginnings of my experience with Postpartum Depression and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder resulting from a traumatic birth experience (two, actually). It has been the singularly hardest time of my life, and we are far from being done with it all. It is this battle that brought significance to the verses of scripture that I would like to share today.

Ether 2:24-25

"For behold, ye shall be as a whale in the midst of the sea; for the mountain waves shall dash upon you. Nevertheless, I will bring you up again out of the depths of the sea; for the winds have gone forth out of my mouth, and also the rains and the floods have I sent forth.

"And behold, I prepare you against these things; for ye cannot cross this great deep save I prepare you against the waves of the sea, and the winds which have gone forth, and the floods which shall come. Therefore what will ye that I should prepare for you that ye may have light when ye are swallowed up in the depths of the sea?"

It is so easy to feel completely buried in whatever trial is currently swallowing us up. The mountain waves that crash all around us are powerfully overwhelming. But, God is in control! He sent the trials, designed specifically for each of us and the lessons that we need to learn in our own lives and in His time.

He prepares the way for us to get through. It always seems to take longer than we want, and we can't simply learn the lesson and move on--we have to truly gain the experience and learn for ourselves. And we can't do it without Him!

But, sometimes, we might feel like that ship that's completely at the mercy of the elements--

Ether 6:5-6

"And it came to pass that the Lord God caused that there should be a furious wind to blow upon the face of the waters, towards the promised land; and thus they were tossed upon the waves of the sea before the wind.

"And it came to pass that they were many times buried in the depths of the sea, because of the mountain waves which broke upon them, and also the great and terrible tempests which were caused by the fierceness of the wind."

Tell me honestly that you haven't felt like that at some point or another. But read on, and there is hope!

Ether 6:8

"And it came to pass that  
the wind did never cease to blow towards the promised land 
while they were upon the waters; and thus they were driven forth before the wind."

No matter what the trial, we will always come out better for it in the end. God truly has designed every trail, every experience we have in our lives to improve us and make us learn and grow in ways that we cannot possibly imagine. Even in those times when we really do feel buried in the depths or tossed upon the waves, we are still pointed in the direction of our own promised land, if we but let God stay in control.


Ether 6:7

"...therefore when they were encompassed about by many waters they did cry unto the Lord, and he did bring them forth again upon the top of the waters."

~Laura~

3 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. Thank you for the inspiration, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this - I'm so glad you told me this the other day. Ironically enough, I just read these scriptures again this morning. It meant even more to me reading it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason I never caught that God the furious wind which blew towards the promised land. Furious winds are frightening, but it is nice to know that God is directing them to lead us to our promised land. Sometimes he actively places some of those winds in our lives, and sometimes as a natural part of living the wind is just blowing anyway and he lets it continue. The beauty is whether our trials were intentionally fashioned by God or simply allowed to occur with his help we can overcome anything.

    ReplyDelete